Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gotham, July, $25

Mee-Ryung was on her biannual trip to France with her husband to visit friends and family.  So, I made reservations at Gotham for my husband, Steve, and me.  This is a beautiful restaurant, very tailored looking in white and black, like a tuxedo.  It is well known for its food and service and will now be for its $25, three course, Prix Fixe lunch.  You get to select a starter, entree and dessert.  Unfortunately, there were only two choices for the appetizer and entree and three for the dessert.  The selections looked very good, however, and that made it easy for Steve and me to divi up what to order.

The first offerings were a  sea bass ceviche and a roast beet and mango salad.  The two choices seem proportional in their substance.  Neither of us would be overly satiated after the first course.  We were, also, offered bread, which, while it was good, it was not very memorable. The first plates were colorful and arranged elegantly.  It was a plate that you feel bad to destroy with knife and fork (or spoon).  But it was worth it.  The ceviche was tangy and slightly sweet with a little pop of flavor from the coriander and a cool creaminess from the avocado.  The sea bass was very tender, not chewy or tough and took on the citrus flavors nicely.  Sea bass has a meaty, rugged flesh that

stands up to all types of cooking and is a marvel for caterers because it can be very forgiving.  So its nice to see and taste this fish prepared so delicately. It was a very light and tasty dish, much like the salad, which really wasn't a green, leafy salad like most of us are familiar.  There were big, flavorful chunks of mango and beets, which were the stars of the plate, with an elusive crunch from pistachios and a salty, chew of feta.  All the flavors played off of each other well, including the vinaigrette, but I would have liked more feta and pistachio.  There were some little, leafy green things on the plate, but they got in the way, in my opinion.

The entrees came beautifully presented, as I expected.  The arrangement fit more of a round configuration which seemed a bit more inviting and accessible.  This plate allowed you to eat and not feel as thought you are taking something away from the food by getting into it with your utensils. The salmon was served over farro with precisely cut vegetables no larger than the O on your keyboard,  I must remember to try that at home.  It tasted fantastic, it had soaked up the juice from the salmon.  The salmon skin was crispy, which is something I have just recently begun to appreciate,  and had a bit of ocean flavor.  The flesh itself was a little underdone and not too salmon-y, neither of which are a complaint.  The grilled poussin was cooked perfectly.   It had tremendous flavor and the skin took up the flavor of the sweet, but not too sweet, soy glaze.  It was served atop some sauteed spinach and a couple sweet, pickled radishes. The greens were drowned in the rosemary and garlic jus which cried out for a little mound of farro to be sucked into.  I really enjoyed the meat and had to resist the urge to start eating the young, little, french chicken with my hands, Gotham is not the place for that, unless you get a back table.
  

The desserts were highly anticipated, chocolate cake and fruit crisp.   The chocolate cake is their house specialty.  It was warm with a spicy, mocha ice cream quenelle laid in a chocolate ribbon.  It was fantastic.  I think all chocolate cake should be served warm.  It just makes the dessert more comforting and I think we all have a homey memory of chocolate. The mint sprig was superfluous, but added color.  The apricot and strawberry crisp is also a homey sort of dessert, best served warm.  This one had an incredible crisp section that I did not want to end and mixed with the vanilla ice cream was heavenly. 

I believe that the selection of dishes on the Prix Fixe lunch menu have a complimentary dichotomy or in the case of dessert a "tricotomy".  That's really hard to do in my opinion.  This is a lunch I would recommend for anyone.  This is one of New York's finer restaurants and has a staying power and appeal to many people.  It is fabulous American food with great ingredients.  I call it American food because I could not pick up on any ethnicity theme to the flavors, perhaps the chicken I ate was french and the salmon was from scottish waters, but I didn't get the sense that the origin of the products highly influenced the flavors and accoutrements of the dish.  American food mixes all ethnicities and when its done well it is flavorful, balanced and comforting.

I have not given much of the opinion of my lunch date, Steve, mainly because, this was a weekday and he was accompanied by his blackberry.  While, he did have an opinion on the dishes and wanted to contribute, his thoughts about the food echoed my sentiments, and his blackberry got most of his attention as something "blew up" at work.  Blackberrys do not make good lunch company, they have too much stuff to say about everything else but the matters of the meal.  

N.B. Gotham's Lunch Prix Fixe has been altered to a Greenmarket Lunch Prix Fixe with two courses for  $24 and a $7 supplement for dessert. 

2 comments:

erectile dysfunction natural remedies said...

I just like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and test again right here frequently. I'm somewhat certain I'll learn many new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!

top erection pills said...

Very good blog post. I definitely love this site. Stick with it!